Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Re-Launch, Sort Of


Hey, Hip Hapa Homeez!

It's hard to believe that I started this blog back in 2006. On that March day, I proclaimed I would henceforth write about issues that affect all AfroAsians as well as keep folks updated about our feature film, Watermelon Sushi. But then, I stopped. And, I didn't start again until 2008! When I did, I began writing about all mixed-race topics--period.

In the beginning, I blogged every single day. It seems I had a lot on my mind back then. Of course, I couldn't keep up with myself much less give you, the reader, fresh news on a daily basis. So, I switched to just blogging on Wednesdays and found that to be a much more manageable goal. Of course, I also evolved from writing only about the AfroAsian experience to including mixies of every blend.

Now, I'm ready to move Watermelon Sushi World up a notch, and that means involving you. Starting with this posting, I'm going to feature various multiracial personalities each week. So many of you out there lead such interesting lives, so let me hear from you! To be interviewed, please email me at: hiphapa@comcast.net

For now, here are two Hip Hapa Homeez who attended the fabulous Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival (at the Japanese American National Museum on June 12 and 13) and their thoughts and opinions about it.


Kathy Sachiko Jackson, in the photo above, has a Japanese mother and an African American father.

Q: How did you participate in this year's Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival?
A: I answered questions on the Mixed-Race Relationships panel.

Q: What was the most exciting aspect of the festival?
A: The whole theme of mixed roots was exciting. The film I got to see--I'm not Black Damnit, I'm Biracial by Carolyn Battle-Cochrane--was amazing! It was funny and sad at the same time.

Q: What did you learn from your experiences there?
A: I have a community of people who want me to explore and find my Japanese background; that I have a group that supports and "gets" me.

Q: How do you think this festival helps mixed-race people? Non mixed-race people?
A: It gives us a voice. It puts all of our thoughts and struggles out there. Non mixed-race people can learn that sometimes they say things that can be hurtful to mixed-race people such as, "What are you?" I am a human being, damn it!

Q: Will you return next year? If so, in what capacity?
A: I will definitely return to the festival again next year. I would love to be on a panel again or attend as a spectator.


Amina S. Kangiwa, in the photo above, has a Filipina mother and a Nigerian father:

Q: How did you participate in this year's Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival?
A: I was an attendee who also covered the event for MixedChild.com, an online website for people of mixed heritage.

Q: What was the most exciting aspect of the festival?
A: I really enjoyed the film screenings and the panel discussion "Mixed in Hollywood" although the highlight for me was "Mixed Unplugged: Live Performance of the Mixed Experience"--specifically Maija Digiorgio's comedy skit. She was hilarious!

Q: What did you learn from your experiences there?
A: I learned how crucial it is for people of mixed heritage to be part of a community of people who can somewhat relate to their experiences growing up multiracial. It was so great to talk to people who intuitively understood my stories and experiences as a mixed person as evidenced by the glint in their eyes when I shared my stories--a great contrast to the beam of confusion and a raised eyebrow that I often get from many of my mono-racial friends.

Q: How do you think this festival helps mixed-race people? Non mixed-race people?
A: To see others talking so openly about their mixed experience and be able to channel it into an artistic form can be very healing and encouraging to mixed-race people (which wouldn't have been possible if the festival didn't exist.) The festival encourages mixed people to find their voice--a voice that for centuries has been silenced due to a widespread discomfort when talking about the mixed experience and race in general. Hopefully, there were people in attendance who, as a result of the festival, were encouraged to start talking about their experiences, to mold all their past pain and confusion, joy and lessons learned, into some sort of art form.

For non mixed-race people, the festival can raise awareness and sensitivity to issues and slights commonly experienced by people of mixed heritage, often caused by others unaware of how damaging certain comments can be. Also, on a much lighter note, the festival was filled with so many talented people whose work can be enjoyed by everyone--mixed or non-mixed--and art, no matter who created it, can always benefit us all.

Q: Will you return next year? If so, in what capacity?
A: Definitely! I'd like to contribute and participate in any way I can, though, of course, the decision is ultimately up to Heidi and Fanshen. *Wink* *Wink* -:-)

Thanks to both Sachiko and Amina for their participation. Next week, I'll feature more stories from more participants.

On another note, I know I've written about this many times before, but one aspect of our mixed-race world that still irritates me is the improper use of the words "biracial" and "hapa". I've noticed that any time the word biracial is used by mainstream media, they mean it to include only those who are half black and half white. Huh? And, the word hapa seems to have been hijacked by certain interest groups, too. Since hapa is the Hawai'ian mispronunciation of the English word half (as in Native Hawai'ian people lacked the phonetics to say half), hapa does not mean half Asian as some believe. In fact, the first biracial people in Hawai'i were half Native Hawai'ian and half European. East Asians didn't migrate to Hawai'i until after Europeans arrived. The offspring of Hawai'ians and Europeans were actually called hapa haole. Even though the world haole is used derogatorily to describe whites today, translated it simply means "no ha". To Native Hawai'ians, ha is the sacred breath one would expel when bowing to their king. Of course, Europeans wouldn't know that so they didn't practice the custom. Hawai'ians then tagged them "he without ha" or "no sacred breath". Ole is Hawai'ian for nothing.

btw, we still have lots of t-shirts available for you so check them out here: http://www.cafepress.com/hapateez

Also, if you haven't already, please sign up to join our Facebook group Hip Hapa Homeez where members post the most interesting articles, links and videos.

Until next week I remain,

Your Hip Hapa,
Yayoi

No comments: